Friday, April 22, 2011

Work Time Versus ME Time

One of the biggest lessons that I learned while being laid-off is: I am NOT the job! I work only to pay the bills and put food on the table. After 4:30 p.m. (the time I get off of work), is ME time and I need to use that time to focus on me- my family, friends, and my life's purpose. In my previous job, I felt incredible pressure to "get it all done" within the work day and I would often stay at work late, come in early, and work through lunch to make sure that all work was accomplished during that day. Since getting my new job, I have made it a priority to take ME time. I work hard during my work hours and get everything that I can accomplished in that time. However, when 4:30 p.m. arrives, I am walking out the door. My priority at that time is myself. I need to get home, eat dinner, and get my exercise in, along with see/talk to my family and friends. I love my job, but I love my family, friends, and myself so much more! I have discovered, as many of you have commented, that my attitude is so much different now. I believe that my priority shift has helped greatly. If your priority is work or if work is keeping you busy, mentally or physically, long after your work day has ended, ask yourself why you are wasting your ME time on a job. You deserve to be able to focus on yourself and YOUR goals for a period of time every day. Start today by deciding that you will leave the job at quiting time and spend the rest of the day focusing on yourself and your family and friends. See how much of a difference it will make in your stress level and general outlook on life.

No comments:

Post a Comment