Monday, April 11, 2011

The SCALE! (Read at your own risk!)

I know this is NOT going to be popular with any of my trainer friends, BUT if you have not been where I have been, you will most likely not understand! If you have ever set a goal, you know that you want to be able to assess how close you are to reaching that goal every day. If you see that you are making progress, you are much more likely to continue on your path. However, when it comes to weight loss, all trainers and weight loss "professionals" will tell you that you should ONLY step on the scale one time per week. It should be the same day each week and it should be first thing in the morning after you have urinated and without any clothes on. They tell you this because the scale can fluctuate anywhere between 1-5 lbs a day depending on sodium intake, gluten intake, general water weight, etc. If you are a female, it can also fluctuate 3-5 lbs during the week before your menstrual period begins. Seeing these fluctuations can be disappointing to someone who is trying hard to lose weight... UNLESS YOU UNDERSTAND THEM! If you understand what certain foods will do to your body weight and that drinking more water can make you retain LESS than drinking less water, and your body cycles in general, then you will not be disappointed or frustrated by deviations in the scale. Personally, I am obsessed with the scale... there, I admitted it! I step on the scale multiple times through out the day. Because of that, I know when something I ate had too much sodium in it. I know when I am approaching the week before my menstrual cycle. I know when I have had enough water or when I need more. I know what different foods will do to the numbers on the scale. If you want to know what keeps me motivated, it is the numbers on the scale. I do weigh every morning after urinating and without any clothes on. It is when I weigh the least. Those are the weights that count. The other ones through out the day are ways that I can monitor the results of my food and water intake. I am a "numbers girl." English was NOT my subject, but math and science were my favorites! In order for me to stay motivated and stay on the path, I need to know where I am at any given moment. The scale is my GPS of weight loss. I will tell you, though, if you plan to become obsessed with your scale, like I am, do your research. Get a good scale that does not only show you weight, but also water percentage, BMI, and body fat percentage. Those numbers are extremely important. Google them and find out why. Do your research! You are important enough to take the time to research the science of your body. Trust me, it is FASCINATING!

2 comments:

  1. I need to go scale shopping or which one can you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine from Walmart. It is a Health O Meter.

    ReplyDelete