Friday, April 15, 2011

If you don't BUY it, you won't EAT it!

When I started to change my lifestyle to a healthier one, it didn't take me long to discover one simple truth: if I don't buy it, I won't eat it! It is amazing how things, like pizza, have to be eaten when they are in the house, but when they are not in the house, I can do without them. The same concept applies with kids. If you only buy the healthy food and introduce your children to fruits and vegetables at a young age, they will choose to eat the healthier foods. For example, I asked Drew (my 2 1/2 yr old) what he wanted for dinner tonight. His choice was organic no sugar added applesauce, plain green beans, and cheese. He also wanted a plain hotdog (98% fat free turkey dog with no bun), but we were out of them. He likes to eat green beans, corn on the cob, broccoli, and okra (he prefers the okra fried, but when I make it for him I bake them). I love Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution and I would LOVE to work with him on the project. It is a subject that is very close to my heart. It amazes me and, quite frankly, frustrates me to watch shows about morbidly obese people who are eating tons of fried, greasy, sugar, and sodium filled foods. The worst part of it is, these people have very little, if any, mobility and the only way that they get the food is that someone brings it to them. I would like 5 minutes alone with the enabling person..... Anyway, when you go to the grocery store it is your chance to make a choice- healthy or not healthy. If you have any type of Little Debbie snack cakes in your house, you have chosen "not healthy." If you are buying the sodium filled microwavable "diet" meals, you have chosen "not healthy." If you have sugar-filled cereals and pastries in your house, you have chosen "not healthy." Even if your kids are "not allowed to have them," they are being taught that it is still ok to eat those things because Mom and Dad eat them. It is up to us, the adults, to help the future generations to make better choices for themselves and their families. I feel like I wasted a lot of years in a huge body, because I just didn't understand what I was doing. I believe that God has given me a purpose to help as many people as I can to turn this epidemic around. Stay tuned for my next Kristy's Korner blog on the Synergize Fat Loss website. It will be grocery store tips! :) Additionally, if you are having issues with grocery store shopping, I will offer to help. I will go shopping with you and show you how to make better choices for yourself. Just let me know if you need me! If anyone can help me connect with Jamie Oliver, I would greatly appreciate it!

1 comment: