Friday, April 1, 2011

The beginning...

I began my journey to change my life, not because I was unhappy with anything in my life (in fact, I was very happy with my life), but because I didn't want to look incredibly out of shape and embarrass myself at The 1st Annual Promise Walk 5K for Preeclampsia. It had nothing to do with weight loss or changing my eating habits. If you had asked me about my eating habits in March or April of 2010, I would have told you that I DO eat healthy- mainly just chicken, turkey, veggies, and no fried foods. I thought I was doing well for myself and I thought I was beautiful, all 335 lbs of me. At the end of March 2010, my dear friend, Michelle asked me if I would consider participating in The 1st Annual Promise Walk 5K for Preeclampsia with her. Since we had both recently suffered with Preeclampsia (read our stories here), without any thought at all, I said, "YES!" Once she left that day, it hit me that I had not really exercised in.... well, forever. Had the walk been that day, I would have definitely done it, but it would have been very difficult. So I recruited my husband and he and I started walking... EVERY DAY. We only had a month to get ready for the 5K (3.1 miles) walk. We started small (less than a mile per day) and gradually added more to the walk every couple of days. When May 8, 2010 arrived, we were ready (for the most part). I wasn't quite prepared for the hills that were on the walking course, but my brother-in-law, Marc, graciously offered to push my son's stroller for me so that I could just haul myself up the hills. There was an option to stop at the 2.5K mark, but I completed the whole 5K (and I was not at the back of the pack)! It felt great! Check out our pictures here!

No comments:

Post a Comment