Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Are You Accountable??

Yesterday I went to Accountability training for work.  Instead of focusing on blame and excuses, the training focused on Responsibility, Empowerment, and Accountability.  While the training was mainly related to my duties at work, I couldn't help but think about it in relation to my weight loss journey. 

Before I started my journey a year ago, I had not taken responsibility for the situation that I found myself in.  I would blame someone or something for every circumstance and situation.  I would claim to have no time, no money, no diets that worked, etc. instead of just taking responsibility for making the changes that I needed to make.  When I got back to work from the training, I had three different people tell me that they had read my blog and were impressed with my weight loss.  They all went on to say that they needed to lose a certain amount of weight, but... and the excuses began- no time, no motivation to exercise, food is too expensive, etc...  I listened and thanked them for the compliments and walked away.  Clearly, they were not ready to be the owners of the process and accept full responsibility for making the needed changes in their lives.

When you are ready, truly ready, there are no excuses!  They seem to vanish before your eyes.  You empower yourself to take action and overcome any obstacles that are in your way.  You can empower yourself to do anything!  When I began my journey, I empowered myself to change the food that I purchased at the grocery store.  I empowered myself to throw out the junk food and replace it with healthier food.  I empowered myself to learn as much as possible about nutrition and healthy living.  I empowered myself to dedicate an hour a day to exercise- walking, riding my stationary bike, and/or doing workouts on my Xbox Kinect. 

Once you have taken responsibility for making the changes in your life and empowered yourself to make those changes, it is time to hold yourself accountable for your success.  Hold yourself accountable and stick to your goals.  As I have mentioned before, I step on the scale every day.  The numbers on the scale let me know where I am in the pursuit of my goals.  I then make adjustments based on where I am on the scale. 

I am often asked, "how did you do it??"  Well, I will say, the above formula pretty much sums it up.  I took responsibility for myself and my life.  I empowered myself to make the changes that I needed to make and I have held myself accountable for my success.  I control me and you control you!  Make it happen and do not blame or rely on others for the status of your life. You only get one life.  Make it the best!

1 comment:

  1. Woah! But....but....but...great, there go the excuses.

    Awesome blog today!!

    Love ya,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete